In order to protect the health and safety of all of our students and staff, all course participants must produce proof of vaccination. I acknowledge that I can provide proof of vaccination.
This advanced-level class utilizes scenarios and hands-on workshops to reinforce concepts contained in the senior level of CDC’s “Biosafety Laboratory Competency Guidelines.”
REASONS TO ATTEND
- Follow a real-world case study from initial risk assessment through a variety of scenarios and explore how changes in a project can affect practices, PPE, and other controls.
- Learn how to prepare for and train others to respond to emergencies.
- Examine the roles played by biosecurity and medical surveillance in protecting your workers and the public.
- Participate in interactive learning activities you can use in your own facilities.
- Explore competencies through case studies, personalized instruction and hands-on activities in a BSL3 training lab.
- Risk assessment as an ongoing process through the life of a BSL3 project
- Operational considerations for BSL3 facilities
- Selecting and maintaining Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Ensuring safe operation of Biological Safety Cabinets (BSCs)
- Dealing with occupational health issues in BSL3 labs
- Planning for and responding to emergencies
- (Almost) painless laboratory inspections
- Ensuring biosecurity
Scott Alderman, CBSP, Director of Operations, Regional Biocontainment Laboratory at Duke
Michelle Gochnour, MN, RN, COHN-S, Senior Occupational Health & Safety Consultant | Environmental Health and Safety, Seattle Children’s
J. Paul Jennette, MS, PE, CBSP, Director of College Biocontainment Operations, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Paul Meechan, PhD, MPH, RBP, CBSP, SM(NRCM), Biosafety Consultant
Mary Ann Sondrini, EdM, Executive Director, Eagleson Institute
What Past participants said about this course:
- “Excellent 2 days of training. I learned so much from instructors and from the other participants. Was very surprised by the variety of experiences and occupations that were represented in participants…this was a strength of the program.”
- “Overall one of the best BSL3 [classes] I have attended. Informative and I enjoyed the interactive exercises/discussions… all of presenters were very engaging & enthusiastic.”
- “I enjoyed hearing input from different types of professionals, laboratorians, biosafety officers, facility people, pharma it was good to have diversity.”