Did you know Alexandria was once part of Washington, D.C.? Located just minutes from Washington, D.C. on the Potomac River waterfront and named the #1 Best Value U.S. Travel Destination 2018 by Money magazine and one of the South’s Prettiest Cities 2018 by Southern Living, Alexandria, offers unexpected gems and an escape from the ordinary. Alexandria is equipped with multiple public transportation outlets that are both easily navigable and quick to get you where you need to go. Once you’re here enjoying our extraordinary destination, we’ve got bikes, boats, Metrorail lines and trolleys to get you around the city or into D.C.
- 3 airports (Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport [DCA], Dulles International Airport [IAD] and Baltimore-Washington International Airport [BWI])
- 4 Metrorail stations (King St-Old Town, Braddock Road, Eisenhower Ave and Van Dorn Street)
- 15 minute drive from Old Town Alexandria to the National Mall (along the scenic George Washington Memorial Parkway)
- 17 minute Metrorail ride from the King St-Old Town station to downtown D.C.
- 25 minute walk along King Street from the waterfront to the Metrorail and Amtrak stations
- 20 minute boat cruise to the Wharf via Potomac Riverboat Company’s high-speed water taxi
- 30 minute boat cruise to the National Mall, Georgetown or Nationals Park via a Potomac Riverboat Company water taxi